Arts Law is uniquely positioned to understand both the stresses of working in the law and also the huge benefits that engaging with the arts and artists can have on your wellbeing. We all know that regular physical exercise has a positive effect on mental health, but a study published in BMC Public Health by Dr Christina Davies from the University of Western Australia confirmed that a weekly dose of the arts is similarly useful in boosting your overall mood. Here are some tips for getting in the magic number of two hours of art a week:
- Read for half an hour a night, guaranteed to help you unwind after a long day.
- Go to a play. NSW is spoiled for choice when it comes to the performing arts. Theatre companies like Belvoir, Merrigong Theatre Company, Performing Lines, Griffin Theatre Company, Bangarra Dance Theatre and Sydney Theatre Company have great programs. Plus you might get your weekly amount of art in one night!
- Listen to music on your way to work. Accidentally start a group singalong on the train when you can’t stop yourself from humming along to the chorus of Dolly Parton’s 9 to 5 on a Monday morning.
- Start an office choir! Office choirs might sound questionable to some, but they are actually the new after work drinks. Singing in a group is well known to reduce anxiety and stress levels – try it out with some Christmas carols at your end of year party and you won’t be able to stop.
- Join the mailing list of your local gallery and get invited to their openings. Catch some new art and enjoy a glass of cheap red wine while you're at it!