- This event has passed.
Connect Sydney: Legal Issues in Business Management
Connect Sydney is an initiative by the City of Sydney which aims to build the capacity of community organisations through the provision of free skills and governance training. It also aims to provide an opportunity for a wide variety of organisations to network and share their experiences.
If you're planning to run a community event and want to improve your knowledge and skills around legal obligations of event management, this is the training for you.
Delivered in partnership with the Arts Law Centre of Australia this training will consist of a face to face workshop, and will include hypothetical case studies and group exercises, designed to contextualise complex content and break down key information into core principles.
The morning session will cover the legal isses that surround the creative aspects of an event, such as:
Who is Arts Law and how we can help
- Intellectual property: Copyright, Moral rights, Trade Marks
- Indigenous Cultural and Intellectual Property issues
- Performers' rights and filming, sound recording and photographing at events (including performers and by standers)
- Outline of agreements with artists/performers: e.g. licensing copyright
- Censorship and classification (for film events and events with audio visual content)
The afternoon session will cover the legal issues associated with the business aspects of an event, such as:
- Responsibility: Liability, risk management and insurance
- Engaging other people: Employment, volunteers, paying,tax, OH&S
- Venue, food and alcohol, public safety
- Outline of contracts e.g. venue hire contracts; fund raising requirements; privacy regarding information of participants and volunteers; and, working with children
- Question and Answer time
Support Material included: Arts law Centre of Australia material – Answers for Artists Guides and Arts Insurance Handbooks will be provided to all particpants.
Training sessions are limited to 50 participants, so make sure you register your expression of interest early. Places are limited to 2 people per organisation, and priority is goven to community organisations that operate within the City of Sydney's local area.
A light lunch and refreshments will be provided on the day.
You can keep up to date and subscribe to our Connect Sydney database by visiting the City’s Connect Sydney website.