Sample Agreement

Music Commission for Film

This sample Music Commission Agreement should be used when a filmmaker (Producer) wants a composer/musician/band to create or adapt music for use in the filmmaker’s film (Film). More specifically, under the agreement the person composing the music (Composer) grants the Producer the rights to make a recording of a musical composition, provided it is used as part of the Film as agreed in the agreement. If the Producer wants to use existing music only, Arts Law’s sample Music Licence for Film is more appropriate.

This sample agreement includes the most common terms that the Producer and the Composer need to consider and agree to.

If the Composer is signed to a record label or music publisher you will need to contact that label or publisher to get the appropriate contract in place. In many cases, they will have their own agreements.

If the filmmaker wants to use existing music only, he/she should use Arts Law’s Music Licence for Film as the base for the agreement.

If the composer is signed to a record label or music publisher, the filmmaker needs to contact that label or publisher to get the appropriate contract in place. In many cases, the label has its own agreements.

This agreement can also be purchased as part of the Film/Video Sample Agreements Pack - Option A (Low Budget) for a discounted price.


Artists/Arts Orgs (word-editable) SUBSCRIBERS
Artists/Arts Orgs (word-editable) NON-SUBSCRIBERSSubscribe for Discount $80
Lawyer WORD (editable) SUBSCRIBERS
Lawyer WORD (editable) NON-SUBSCRIBERSSubscribe for Discount $500

All prices are in Australian dollars and include GST

Please note: You must agree to our terms of use when purchasing and using these agreements. Read our full terms and conditions.

When an agreement is purchased it will be available for download from 'Your Account' for a period of 2 years from the date of purchase. Once this 2 year period has expired it will no longer be available for download.

Educational institutions (eg schools, universities, tertiary colleges) intending to provide these documents to students must purchase the number of copies/licences needed in order to provide each student with a copy. If you require multiple copies it may be worthwhile subscribing to Arts Law.

Organisations may use this document for internal use on multiple occasions but must purchase multiple copies/licences if intending to provide the document to your members or clients.