28 July
Photo by Scott Graham from Unsplash

We have simplified our Copyright Licence template!

Has someone approached you about using your artwork? Do they want to put it on a billboard or their website? How about on their mugs and T-shirts? Arts Law has a new simplified Copyright Licence template that you can use in these situations here.

If you own the copyright in an artwork, you have the right to control how that artwork is used. You have the exclusive right to: 

  • Reproduce it – i.e., make copies of it; 
  • Publish it for the first time – i.e. make copies of it available to the public; or 
  • Communicate it to the public – i.e., make it available online or to transmit it electronically. 

If someone wants to use any of these rights (e.g., by putting your artwork on a billboard or their website), then they need your permission. This permission is called a licence. 

Our new Copyright Licence template has different options for the scope of the licence (i.e., how and what exactly you are giving the other person permission to do with your artwork). It also has different options for payment (i.e., you can choose upfront payment and/or royalties).  

All of our templates come with a helpful Guide to explain what each of the clauses means. Arts Law always recommends that you have a lawyer look over your finished contract to check if the terms are fair and cover what you need. If you would like Arts Law to review your contract, you can submit your details here.

What has changed?

If you have used Arts Law’s Copyright Licensing Agreement before, you will notice that we have updated a few things in the new template. 

We have made the language and headings much simpler and easy-to-use. We have also added some extra protection for artists based on the Indigenous Art Code. For example, the template: 

  • gives you as an artist a 7-day ‘cooling-off’ period if you decide you don’t want to go ahead with the licence anymore; and 
  • makes the other party tell you if they know anything that might affect the payment terms. 

Other useful resources

Arts Law also has a range of more specific copyright licences that might be appropriate for you: